Rizal Province Islands Philippines
Rizal Province Religious Attractions
Boso-Boso Church Ruins (Bgy. San jose, Antipolo City)
The newly restored Boso-Boso church from the remnants of a centuries-old church, which was destroyed during the Second World War. It stands amidst old stones, wild vines, and plants.
Our Lady of Antipolo Shrine (Antipolo City)
It is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje). History says that this miraculous icon sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times, and on several occasions, was credited with saving the Spanish galleons from destruction by pirates, and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the icon. It was on November 26, 1926 that the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was dedicated by the Archbishop of Manila, Michael O' Doherty. The month of May is a month-long fiesta in Antipolo, when thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.
Tanay Catholic Church (Tanay, Rizal)
The first Tanay Catholic Church made of nipa and bamboo was built in 1606. The current building made of locally quarried stone was completed in 1680. In 1783, it was reconstructed together with the convent. The church is an example of early Renaissance architecture. It has a four-storey octagonal tower, a façade of adobe blocks, relieved by columns and semicircular arched windows. Its podium is adorned by a niche with the statue of San Ildefonso de Toledo, the patron saint of the town. A convent and a courtyard connect the church to the Catholic school managed by the Archdiocese of Antipolo. Inside are ornate altars with statues of saints. Finely carved, 200 year-old Stations of the Cross add luster to the antiquity of the church.
Baras Church (Baras, Rizal)
Baras Church is one of the oldest in the area, having been completed in 1686. The first church in Baras was built by the Franciscans in 1595. The town of Baras was transferred to Ibayo in 1636 but the church was returned to the present site in 1682. It was the Jesuits who administered the parish from 1616 to 1679. The interior of the church was simply done. The altar and the lanterns are stone artifacts, unearthed beneath the church.
Morong Church (San Jose, Morong, Rizal)
St. Jerome Church stands high above the town of Morong. It was built in 1615 by Chinese craftsmen as evidenced by the Chinese lions at the entrance to the steep driveway. It took three years to construct the church which was entirely funded by the people of Morong. The stone and mortar church has steps leading up to the front. The cross on the tower is illuminated at night and can be seen clearly from the surrounding countryside. It has a tower in front, about 100 feet high with a statue of St. Michael the Archangel on top. The three-storey façade which was built in 1850-1853 to support a new bell tower is one of the most splendid examples of baroque architecture in the Philippines. It is in graduated levels, surmounted by a four-storey octagonal bell tower of European influence, with paired columns at the four exterior corners. The ornamentation consists of long, simple nave. The 14 Stations of the Cross are beautifully done. The restoration of the ceiling has been done and old beams are now visible.
Ang Kalbaryo (Bgy. Libid, Binangonan, Rizal)
Ang Kalbaryo is known not only for its religious significance but also for its historical value. According to the old folks, a cross-shaped rock suddenly grew out of the summit but was destroyed by lightning and earthquake. The people erected in 1783 on the same spot a wooden cross in place of the original cross. A chapel was built on top of a hill overlooking Laguna as a place for venerating the cross.